- RAPID-TO-USE PDF VIEWER CONTROL
- CUSTOMIZABLE USER INTERFACE AND TOOLS
- ENTERPRISE RENDERING QUALITY
- SEAMLESS MEMORY MANAGEMENT
- PRECISION TUNED FOR IOS AND ANDROID
Foxit MobilePDF SDK is a Rapid Development Kit for mobile platforms which focuses on helping developers easily integrate powerful Foxit PDF technology into their own apps. With Foxit MobilePDF SDK, even developers with a limited knowledge of PDF can quickly build a professional PDF viewer with just a few lines of code on iOS and Android platforms.
Foxit MobilePDF SDK consists of three elements:
An advanced view control with an easy-to-use API for displaying and manipulating PDF files on iOS and Android. With Foxit’s renowned and widely used PDF rendering technology at its core, the view control provides fast and high quality zooming, scrolling and page navigation features. The best part? It is designed for rapid integration into your apps.
UI EXTENSIONS COMPONENT
The UI EXTENSIONS Component builds on the View Control, providing a customizable user interface with built-in tools for text selection, text markup and drawing, form filling, free text typing, standard and dynamic stamping, night mode, outline navigation and full-text searching. The Tools Component is provided as a compiled component for rapid integration, and for complete flexibility, source code is also provided which allows developers to customize the default user interface and control precisely the functionality of the default tools.
PDF CORE API
The PDF Core API is the heart of this Rapid Development Kit, it contains the functions used in the View Control and the UI Extensions Component. The PDF Core API can be used independently for document rendering, analysis, text extraction, digital signing, text search, form filling, import/exporting forms data, annotation creation and manipulation and much more. Click on the Features above to see all available features.
Foxit MobilePDF SDK for iOS
- iOS 8.0 or higher
- Xcode 7.0 or newer for Objective-C
- Xcode 8.0 or newer for Swift
Foxit MobilePDF SDK for Android
- Android 2.2 or newer / API 8 or higher
- 32/64-bit ARM (armeabi-v7a/arm64-v8a) or 32-bit Intel x86 CPU
Features – Version 2.0
- Complete PDF Viewer Optimized for Mobile
- Customizable User Interface
- Text Markup and Drawing Annotations
- Form Filling and Flattening
- Typewriter and Stamp Tools
- Digital Signature support (Core API)
- Full-Text Searching
- Outline, Thumbnail and Comment Panels
- Night Mode for Reading
- Multithreaded User Interaction
Rapid Development Kit Structure
The features of Foxit MobilePDF SDK are provided in three different levels:
The View Control is a utility class for creating the base viewer for displaying PDFs.
- Open documents from different sources
- Document handle
- File path
- Memory (buffer)
- Save document
- Go to first page
- Go to last page
- Go to next page
- Go to previous page
- Go to custom page number
- Go to previous view
- Go to next view
- Get/Set zoom level
- Zoom page from the specified position
- Kinetic scrolling (flick movement to move the page quickly)
- Zoom in or out by double-tap
- Get/Set Page layout mode
- Facing (iOS iPad only)
- Set Night Mode
- Set Background color
- Thumbnail view mode
- Rotation, scaling of page as device rotates, maintaining visual position
- Coordinate conversion
- OOM handling (Automatic OOM recovery)
- System event handling and view control level event handling
UI Extensions Component (source code included)
The UI Extensions Component provides ready-made UI and features which can be customized.
- Outline Panel
- Annotation Panel
- Form Filling Tool
- Annotation (Add, Delete, Edit)
- Text Markup Annotations
- Replace Text
- Insert Text
- Drawing Annotations
- Other Annotations
- Typewriter (FreeText)
- Stamp Tool (Standard and Dynamic)
- Text Markup Annotations
- Select tool
- Search tool
- File Properties (iOS implemented at complete_pdf_viewer demo)
PDF Core API
The PDF Core API contains all of the non-viewer level functions for Foxit MobilePDF SDK.
Lower level PDF object support
- Full access to lower-level PDF object
- Functionality not available in high-level API can be implemented using lower level PDF object API.
- Load from different sources
- Load from path
- Load from buffer
- Load with file handle
- Check whether a document is modified during open
- Check a document whether encrypted or not
- Get display mode
- Get/Create/Edit Outlines
- Get/Create/Edit Reading Bookmarks
- Get page Label information
- Get document info such as Title/Author/Subject
- Get catalog
- Get document trailer
- Get indirect object
- Add indirect object
- Delete indirect object
- Get user permission
- Get metadata
- Save a document with different flag
- Save document by using object stream (can reduce file size)
- Flatten Form Fields
- Import and Export Form Data via XML files
- Search text in a document
- Parse page progressive
- Render pages
- Get Page dictionary
- Load page thumbnail to a bitmap
- Calculate the content area of PDF page
- Add/Remove annotations
- Get Page size
- Get page rotation
- Get page links (Text Link, Annot Link)
- Text Select
- Progressive Rendering
- Background/foreground color setting
- Halftone image stretching
- Get outlines
- Create outlines
- Edit outlines
- Get/Set Outline Color/Title/Style/Destination
- Get reading bookmarks
- Create reading bookmarks
- Edit reading bookmarks
- Add signature fields
- Sign a document
- Verify signature
Annotations (All Types Supported)
- Get/Set Property
Optimized for Mobile
Foxit Software is probably best known for its small, fast and lightweight Foxit Reader app which matches Adobe Reader’s rendering quality, but beats it in speed. Some of the technique’s that Foxit’s products uses to get this superior experience are:
- Caching system for rendering large PDF files
- Strip rendering (iOS)
- Tiling rendering (Android)
- Multithread user interaction (separate UI thread and user interaction layer)
- Out Of Memory Management (critical for mobile platforms were memory is scare)
Better Rendering Quality
Superior rendering quality is all about supporting the edge cases of PDF. Luckily we have a big team of engineers with a QA team to back them up, plus Fortune 500 customers that demand quality, so we have the resources and the need to provide best-in-league rendering quality.
Lets take a look at how Foxit compares to other players in the industry.
On the left you’ll see how one of our biggest competitors thinks this PDF with CMYK color should be rendered. On the right you can see how we think it should be rendered. Foxit’s color conversion engine is precise.
One the left our competitors rendering engine stumbles on this radial shading pattern function. On the right you can see that Foxit correctly renders all shading types.
Annotating Vertical Text
On the left competing rendering engines, including Adobe Acrobat, fail to properly recognize the vertical text in this document and adjust the annotations accordingly. Foxit’s deep experience servicing different regions all around the world means that its technology has been refined to confidently handle vertical and right-to-left text.
Out of Memory Management
OOM will be implemented in RDK level internal, the viewer control level. Users (developers) don’t need to do anything for OOM recover .
For V1.0, if OOM happen, the APP will not crash, our RDK will init the library again, and then reopen the document and go to the page before OOM happen, but the edit action of doc before OOM will be lose, for example the end user add a annotation before OOM, and the annotation will be lose after recover.
Also, RDK will notify the OOM happen and the recovery finished.
Superior Font Handling
Foxit’s battle-tested font engine means that it can handle even the trickiest of font situations. In the examples below the PDF uses non-embedded fonts which can be a challenge when rendering the PDF. Foxit’s superior font matching algorithm is is able to accurately determine which substitute most closely resembles the original non-embedded font and uses that to display the text. On the left you can see how less mature font matching algorithm’s display the PDF and on the right you can see how Foxit and Adobe display the PDF.
Better Rendering Speed
The speed of Foxit’s rendering engine is renowned and one of the reasons products such as Foxit Reader are so popular! In our testing using a repository of 1331 documents the Foxit rendering engine was able to process 1116 test files as fast or faster than one of our key competitors. In fact, our competitor couldn’t process 188 of those test files at all. Not only is Foxit technology; it’s faster, more accurate, … and it works.
Over the past 15 years Foxit has grown to have a world-wide presence spanning the US, China, Europe, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and Australia. This means that Foxit can provide you with the local support that you need through email, online messaging and phone calls in real-time.